Thursday, March 1, 2012

War on Alzheimer's disease

As most of you know, I'm a staunch supporter of the war against Alzheimer's Disease.  Yes, I have taken this task at a personal level. You can learn more about why from this post. While I'm no longer in research, I try to find ways to be a part of efforts that could bring us closer to eliminating this disease. I was glad when Obama signed the National Alzheimer's Project Act, and even more so when he declared war on AD earlier this year. While there are many hurdles such as still insufficient research funding, struggling state of Pharma companies, etc, the government did allocate $50M on cutting edge research with the goal of preventing and treating this disease by 2025. To me, 2025 seems to be just around the corner.  Heck, being the planner that I am, I know which big conferences I'll be attending in 2015. Nevertheless, just the sheer amount of attention this has been getting from all sectors globally makes me think positively.  What can I say? I'm a sucker for optimism.  So, to help in the effort, I bring this cross-journal project to your attention. And I'm proud to be a part of it. To the friends and families I've lost to Alzheimer's disease, it's just one way to say I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment